Installing New Chainrings On A Mountain Crank
Hurray!!, You got a new crank! That’s always exciting. Building up new parts is awesome, but if you’re not sure what to do it can be a bit daunting. Don’t fret. Here’s a video that shows how to install new chainrings.
Some Additional Information:
- Most new cranks come with a bottom bracket (BB) made for that crank. You’ll need to look up the manufacturer’s installation instructions for your specific setup. Depending on your bike and BB combination, spacers are sometimes used. Pay careful attention to this when installing your BB, as it will affect the alignment of the chainrings and crank arm in relation to the frame of your bike.
- If you’re not familiar with how to install your specific crank, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions. Most new cranks will come with an instruction sheet, but you may need to look them up online. Please pay attention to torque specifications. If you don’t tighten bolts enough they may come loose, or worse, fall off while you’re riding. And if they’re tightened too much you can risk damaging, or particularly in cases of carbon parts, cracking them. If you’re not sure how tight a bolt needs to be, make everything snug and then take your bike in to your local bike shop. They will be happy to assist you. It’s all part of installing new chainrings.
- Adjusting chain length is important. If you’re using new chainring sizes or installing a new chain with your crank, you’ll want to make sure you have the proper length for you setup. We have a great video explaining how to adjust your chain length. You will need a chain break tool to do this on your own.
- Any time you change parts on your drivetrain you’ll want to make sure your derailleurs are adjusted correctly. This is particularly important if you are changing gear sizes or brands. Please refer to our videos on derailleur adjustment for how to address this. There are several ways and reasons to adjust the front derailleur. We only cover basic adjustments, but for most cases you’ll be able to adapt these skills to fit your specific needs. You can always connect with your local bike shop if you need additional help.
- If you’re changing to Wickwerks rings, you’ll want to read through our Installation Instructions for installing new chainrings. To get the best shifting possible, a little tweaking of the front derailleur is likely required.
If you’ve got more questions or would like to see a video on something we haven’t done yet, please visit our Contact US page. We’d love to hear from you.